Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Vintage Potholders

I came across a red and white vintage crocheted potholder one time while looking through some linens in a vendor's booth at a quilt show. I liked it so much that I decided I needed to collect some more. Whenever I am at a thrift shop or a yard sale, I always look to see if there are others that I would like to add to my small, but growing collection. Once again I am drawn to the cheerful color of red. One of my daughters actually made the one in the middle on the bottom row. It is in the shape of a little dress. She made it simply by looking at another vintage potholder that she has, and whipped this out for me. She is very talented that way. I typically need a pattern to walk me step by step through the entire process.




Here is a close-up of a cute flower on one of them.


I grew up in a home where my mother, grandmothers, and great-grandmothers all spent a great deal of time crocheting. I learned to appreciate all of the hard work that goes into making such wonderful treasures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi - I just found and adore your blog. Here is a pattern for the rose crochet potholder: http://www.freevintagecrochet.com/potholders/rose.html
I've made some of these and they're great fun, very easy, and go quickly.
Gracie

Monica said...

Thank you so much Gracie for the link to the pattern. I have printed out a copy, and am looking forward to making some of them. And also welcome to my blog.