Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Burp Cloths

I had a request to share how I made the burp cloths in a previous post. I don't have step-by-step pictures to make it an official tutorial, but I will do my best to give you some simple instructions.

1. I used flannel which I pre-washed and dried. You can of course make the burp cloth any size that you would like.

2. I cut the front of mine into a rectangle that was 9 1/2 x 13 1/2 inches. At this point I added the embroidery. You could also applique or add no embellishment at all. Just make sure that your embellishment will be able to withstand multiple washings.

3. Cut strips of flannel 1 1/2 inches wide and sew them to the sides of the front piece, and then to the top and bottom.

4. Cut another piece of flannel the size of the top that now includes the small border strips.

5. Place the pieces right sides together and stitch all around with a 1/4 inch seam allowance leaving a small area open for turning.

6. Trim the seam allowances, clip the corners, and press.

7. Turn the burp cloth right side out and press once again making sure that you turn the seam allowance inside the cloth where you turned it.

8. Edge stitch close to the edge around the entire cloth.

I certainly hope that this makes some sense. If anyone has a question, I am more than happy to answer it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Monica! I'm going to print these instructions and save them for the next time I need a baby gift. They are so cute! I appreciate you taking the time to post these.

I'm enjoying your blog very much. I love homemaking, and we seem to have the same "style." I came here from Nancy's blog. :-)

womanofthehouse