Monday, November 10, 2008

Apple Pie #3

Over the weekend I tried out another new apple pie recipe. This one intrigued me because of the orange juice used in it. My family thought it was great. The orange juice and nutmeg gave it a very good flavor. It was very juicy though, and I thought that next time I would add some more flour for thickening. And then it dawned on me that the recipe calls for a lattice crust; however, I just used a regular crust on top. In hindsight, I think next time I will use a lattice top crust because that would perhaps allow for the orange juice mixture to evaporate more and thicken up on its own.

This recipe comes from the "Ladies' Home Journal 100 Great Pie & Pastry Recipes" cookbook. I really enjoy looking through this cookbook. There is a recipe in it for a chocolate peanut butter ice cream pie that has 720 calories per slice! Wow - that's a lot!! But it looks so delicious that I plan on making it some day.

Apple Pie #3

Pastry for a two crust pie
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
8 cups Winesap or Rome Beauty apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 400 deg. F.

For the filling, combine the sugar, orange juice, butter, flour, and nutmeg in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring over low heat until the sugar is dissolved and butter is melted.

Roll out the bottom crust for your pie and place it in your pie plate. Spoon the sliced apples into the pastry. Pour the sugar-orange mixture over the apples.

Prepare a lattice crust with your remaining pastry, and arrange on the top of your pie.

Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 deg. F. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes more or until the apples are tender. Cool pie completely on a wire rack or serve warm.

Enjoy!!

No comments: