Saturday, November 1, 2008

Mexican Rice

The majority of the time when I make tacos or fajitas, I like to serve a Mexican style rice with them. For years I bought the little boxes of it in the grocery store; and I think every time after we had finished dinner, I knew that I needed to find a good recipe for it because the boxes were just never that great. And then about a year ago I stumbled onto the http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com website. It was here that I found the following that is now a permanent fixture in my recipe box. I have altered the recipe ever so slightly. If you want to see it in its original form from the source, you need to look for the recipe entitled "Army Man Rice".

Mexican Rice

2 T. oil
1 cup long grain white rice
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. each oregano, cumin, & garlic powder
1 T. dry onion
Dash red pepper (optional)
8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 cups water

Heat the oil in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the rice and stir until it begins to brown. Add the seasonings, tomato sauce, and water. Stir and bring to a boil. Once it begins to boil, place a cover on the pan, and reduce the heat to very low. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was reading Femina and found my way over here - I've had the same thoughts on rice for our Mexican nights, I can't wait to try your recipe!