Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Turkey, Vegetable, and Rice Soup

I have mentioned before that in November I like to take advantage of the sales of turkeys in the grocery stores. I literally use turkey all throughout the year in a number of dishes that call for cooked chicken. Yesterday seemed like a "soup" kind of day, so in the morning I put together this recipe in the crockpot. I guess it was a hit because my husband told me that this was the best soup that I had ever made. In light of that, I thought I would share the recipe just in case any of you have a "soup" kind of day coming up.

Turkey, Vegetable, and Rice Soup
Hot, cooked rice (prepared just prior to when you plan on serving the soup)
8 cups of boiling water
3 tablespoons of McCormick Chicken Base
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups sliced carrots
2 cups sliced celery
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
3 tablespoons dry parsley flakes
4 cups diced cooked turkey (or chicken)

Add chicken base to boiling water and set aside. (Or you can use 8 cups of your favorite chicken stock or bouillon). In large crockpot, combine all remaining ingredients (except rice). Pour prepared chicken broth over vegetables and seasonings. Mix well. Cook on low for 8 hours. When ready to serve, place hot rice in the bottom of each bowl, and ladle hot soup over the top of it.

No comments: