Monday, January 12, 2009

Blueberry Surprise

My husband's favorite dessert is what we have come to call "Blueberry Surprise". I have no idea at what point in our marriage this recipe took on this particular name, but I can only remember referring to it as such. I clipped it from a magazine in our first few months of marriage, taped it to a recipe card, and that is exactly how it has remained to this day (which was 32 years ago). I think it was featured in a Jello Pudding advertisement, and the actual name that is on the card is "Luscious Layered Blueberry Delight". It is very quick to put together; although it does need to sit in the refrigerator about 3 hours before serving. Whenever I take it to family gatherings, it is usually gone in a matter of minutes. I made it for my husband yesterday. I thought that since he is suffering from a cracked rib that he received on Saturday while snowmobiling, this might ease the pain slightly. I think it helped.

Blueberry Surprise

14 whole graham crackers (personally, I never count them, I just use how many it takes)
1 pkg. (6-serving size) vanilla instant pudding
1 cup thawed Cool Whip
1 can (21-oz.) blueberry pie filling

Line a 9-inch square pan with whole graham crackers, breaking crackers, if necessary. Prepare pudding mix as directed on package for pudding. Let stand 5 minutes. Fold in whipped topping. Spread half the pudding mixture over the crackers. Add another layer of crackers. Top with remaining pudding mixture and remaining crackers. Spread pie filling over the top layer of crackers. Chill 3 hours. Makes 9 servings.




3 comments:

Sheila said...

This looks delicious! I am certain this treat must have taken his mind off of the pain temporarily.

Anonymous said...

That desert is one of my favorites -- and it looks even more scrumptious in the Fiesta dish!! Once again, your blog is making me hungry....
Megan

Anonymous said...

One more thing -- tell Jim I'm sorry to hear he cracked his rib and that I hope he has a speedy and not too painful recovery.
Megan