Monday, December 1, 2008

Knitting

My mom taught me how to knit when I was about 9 or 10 years old. Some of my other friends at school were learning how, and I thought it looked like fun. I can imagine that this truly was a labor of love on my mother's part, because she really does not like to knit. She is a crochet person, and does so beautifully. I can't even remember ever seeing her knit, but I guess I just assumed she knew how. I learned on an old pair of wooden needles that seemed to have been a part of our household forever (of which I now have the honor of possessing). She only knew the basics, but that was enough to get me going. I still enjoy knitting; however, it takes me a really long time to finish something. I've never made anything amazing, just small projects throughout the years. My mother-in-law has also taught me more detailed knitting. She is an amazing knitter!! At one point, she even owned her own yarn shop. I have always been absolutely amazed at the projects she finishes in an unbelievable short amount of time. I'm quite certain that my niece, Rachel, has inherited this skill from her. Rachel is a busy mom with 4 small children, and never ceases to amaze me at the projects that she turns out in such rapid succession.

For the past few years I have been drawn to all of the pretty sock yarn that is out there on the market. When I visit a yarn shop, I always find my way over to this particular yarn, pick it up, and think that I would really like to learn how to knit socks. I have checked books out at the library reading about how to knit socks, but have never actually come to the point where I have begun to knit socks. For my birthday this year, one of my daughters gave me this as a gift:



Everything I need to make my own pair of socks!! My birthday is in the summertime, so obviously I haven't begun them yet; but am looking forward to the perfect cold winter day when I can sit down with a hot cup of tea, pick up my needles and yarn, and begin knitting socks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My 11yo daughter began knitting just over a year ago. She has taken to it like a duck to water, but she hasn't knitted any socks yet. She is just beginning knitting a sweater for herself after knitting many scarves and hats for Christmas presents. I hope you get to curl up with your knitting soon!

womanofthehouse

fosterheartsathome said...

I just began knitting myself...I love the idea of paaing these skills on, to our daughters and grandaughters...and Lord willing their daughters!

Monica said...

Yes, I agree with you. It is indeed wonderful to be able to pass on our skills to our daughters and grandaughters. I know for me, it is delightful to see my daughters sit down with some kind of a handwork project.