Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mixed Berry Crisp

The other day I was flipping through the June issue of Martha Stewart's magazine, when a blueberry crisp recipe caught my eye. It really sounded delicious, and so I thought I would give it a try. I really didn't want to drive into town to go to the store to get the ingredients, so I improvised a little bit. I had recently purchased a bag of frozen mixed berries from Costco (raspberries, blueberries, and marionberries), so thought I would use those since I had them on hand. The dessert came together quick, and was really delicious!!

Mixed Berry Crisp

Filling:
6 cups of frozen Rader's Farms Nature's Mixed Berries from Costco
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon plus 1 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. coarse salt

Topping:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
3 oz. (6 T) unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 375 deg. Mix filling ingredients together and transfer to an 8 inch square baking dish.

For topping, combine flour, oats, baking powder, and salt. Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Stir dry ingredients into butter and sugar mixture. Mix topping ingredients well. Sprinkle over filling. Bake until bubbling in center and brown on top (approximately 1 hour). Cool on rack for 30 minutes before serving. Yum!!!




3 comments:

Emily said...

that looks so yummy, Monica! I have a garden,too, and need to go out there and weed this morning. After our 10 day vacation, things were a little scary! our grapes vines were WAY out of control! Forget piled up mail as a tell tale of people being out of town, any robber could check out our garden and know we weren't there! much love,
Em

Nancy Ann said...

Happy Birthday Monica!
Hope someone whips up a yummy treat for you!
Blessings to you on your bday.
Love,
Nancy

Sheila said...

I have bought those same berries from Costco! {It is always exciting to connect to people in some way.}

I love the blue plates against your red oil cloth. Blue is my absolutely favorite color.

And I read it was your birthday recently. Happy belated birthday. I hope it was wonderful.