Saturday, January 28, 2012

Saturday's Book Choice

I was introduced to George MacDonald by my sister-in-law, Nancy.  One year for Christmas she gave me a copy of The Fisherman's Lady (Hampshire Books), and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.  Through the years I have read it several times, and as a matter of fact, after writing about it tonight, I think it is about time for another time through.

George MacDonald was an author in 19th century Scotland.  He wrote a great variety of books including novels for adults, fairy tales, theological works, and poetry.  C. S. Lewis was greatly influenced by MacDonald, and I have read that Lewis even even referred to him as "his master".

This is a good, hard-to-put-down type of story that is perfect for that cold stormy day outside when you have nothing better to do than spend the afternoon with a good book.


2 comments:

Sheila said...

I have a small book featuring some of his fairy tales and have enjoyed it. I'll have to try this one. I'm not very familiar with his writings and don't even know where I happened upon the book I do have, but I enjoy the genre.

koralee said...

Thank you for sharing...I am always interested in a good book title...off to write this one down. Happy new week to you.