Thursday, January 19, 2012

Caramel Corn at Home

It just seems to kind of make for a fun time to have a table set out with all kinds of finger foods and various munchies to partake of whenever the moment strikes you.  This past Sunday,  I decided that I should do just that while we watched the football games.  I was able to come up with quite a few ideas even though I thought of it kind of last minute.  One of the things I made was caramel corn.  I haven't made this for years, and fortunately was able to place my hand on the recipe.  The ingredients are basic, but the one odd thing you might not have on hand is a large paper grocery sack.  When I get groceries, I just ask the clerk for a few extra.  I figure that way the bag will be clean to cook the popcorn in.  And the recipe calls for either peanuts or almonds; however, you can use whatever type of nut you like.  This last time I made it, I just used some mixed nuts that I happened to have on hand.  The only problem though is once you start eating it, it is seriously hard to stop.

Microwave Nutty-Caramel Corn

1 cup packed golden brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. baking soda
8 cups popped unflavored popcorn
2 cups roasted unsalted peanuts, or almonds

In a large glass measuring cup, combine the sugar, syrup, salt, butter, and vanilla.  Microwave on high for 1 minute.  Stir and cook for an additional 2 minutes.  Add the baking soda and stir well (mixture will foam).

Combine the popcorn and peanuts in a large brown paper bag.  Pour the syrup into the bag and stir to coat.  Turn the bag under to close, and microwave on high for 1 minute.

Transfer the caramel corn mixture to a baking sheet lined with waxed paper to cool. (It gets crunchier the longer it cools).  Keep in an airtight container until ready to serve.

4 comments:

gretchen said...

Yum! I had no idea you could make this in a microwave oven. It looks like I need to give it a try, too. Thanks for sharing!

nursejanet said...

I have never made this but recently ate some. It is pretty addictive. I am going to try this.
thanks for posting.

koralee said...

Ok...now this has to be on my must make this weekend list!!! Thank you soooo much..xoxoxo

Sheila said...

I think it is so funny that something this old fashioned and delicious can be made with the use of a microwave! I thought I was safe, because I only eat this kind of popcorn when it is given to use at Christmas, but you have made it so I won't have to wait for that.

My son made peanut brittle using the microwave. So much easier than the stove top and continuously checking the thermometer.