Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Labor of Love

My mom is amazingly talented with a crochet hook.  She can whip things up like they were nothing.  All of my life she has had a project of one sort or another nearby; and she never ceases to amaze me with what she can make, and in how short of a time that she can make it.  Last year she decided that she wanted to make all of her daughters crocheted tablecloths.  So last year my sister, Molly, was the lucky recipient.  My mom told me that I would be the next one in line.  She asked me which pattern I liked, and what measurements my table were.  But this last summer she told me she didn't think she would be able to finish it by Christmas, as she suffers terribly from arthritis and rheumatism, and it just really hurt her hands to do much crocheting.  I told her that was fine, as obviously I didn't want her to be in pain while making me a gift.  Just the thought that she wanted to make something for me counted the most.  But on Christmas Eve, I opened a gift from my mom.  And yes, it was the tablecloth.  It is absolutely beautiful, and what makes it so special is that she obviously forged on ahead with the work even though it caused her pain.  A good example of a labor of love, and what a mother will endure for a child.  Thanks mom -- it will always be very special to me.  I love you.

10 comments:

Kar said...

What a beautiful gift from your Mother. It's absolutely gorgeous! You can tell your Mother has a wonderful heart. :)

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Wow! That is amazing and absolutely beautiful. I love to crochet but a project that takes that much time would certainly be a big, huge labor of love. You are so fortunate that your mother continued and completed the project just in time for Christmas. Happy holidays. Tammy

Kathy said...

How beautiful! That is destined to become a family heirloom!
Love Kathy xxx

koralee said...

So pretty and what a sweet blessing...xoxoxo

Woman of the House said...

That is absolutely gorgeous! What a treasure!

Maria said...

That is gorgeous! What a wonderful mom!!!

Anonymous said...

O! It is so lovely. What a treasure for you and the generations to come and a great story of love behind it too!

theUngourmet said...

There is nothing sweeter than a mother's love. I love this kind of crochet work. I can't imagine having the patience for it. It's so beautiful! Happy New Year to you...and your mom.

Anonymous said...

My mom is the same way...and I have many of her crocheted table cloths to prove it too!

And I will no doubt do the same for my daughter as I have the same habit of picking up my crochet hook and not putting it down!

Nice to visit!
Stop by sometime...

Ciao Bella!
Creative Carmelina

Siding Contractors Simi Valley said...

Thanks for writting