Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Special Breakfast

Back in the years between the1940's and 1960's, I think every housewife must have had her own set of special glass luncheon plates.  They are little rectangular glass plates with a little designated circle on them to hold a matching glass cup.  Nowadays you see them practically lining the shelves in every thrift shop across the country.  I have always been fascinated with them because my mom had a set, and they were only pulled out for special occasions, or when her ladies' card club took a turn meeting at our house.  I can remember watching her unpack them and thinking they were about the prettiest thing around.  So one time I found a small set, including most of the cups, for next to nothing.  I brought them home, washed them up, and it truly made my heart happy to have my very own set.  I pulled them out to use for a special breakfast recently.  The breakfast was special just because I was with my daughters and it was Sunday.  One of my daughters put together a lovely combination of fruit, and I made the Food Network's Maple Pecan Scones.  The fruit was so sweet and delightful, and the scones are simply wonderful.

3 comments:

Jennie and Julie said...

I too had a mother that had a set, and a mother-in-law. What to do with all these sets? My mother-in-law's set was of white milk glass, which was unusual, and so I kept those, and donated my mother's to a church that used the same pattern. They are fun, and your pattern is not one I have seen before. Looks like a special breakfast to me...I love scones : ) Jennie

Anonymous said...

Cute! I'll have to keep a look out for those next time I'm at Goodwill or yardsales!

Kathy said...

I haven't seen these sort of plate over here ... we're still into china from our mum'd generation
xxx