Monday, May 30, 2011

Forget-Me-Not

A number of years ago we met a little elderly lady who was basically alone in the world.  She was the sweetest little lady and we quickly formed a close friendship.  She loved flowers, but in her elderly state she was unable to get outside and take care of them.  Her gardens were overrun with weeds, but you could see that at one point in time they had been beautiful.  Over the couple of years that we knew her, she had given me a number of seeds and starts from her flowers; and these weren't just random gifts, it was important to her because near the end of her life she thanked me for perpetuating her flowers.  One of the flower starts she gave me was a forget-me-not.  This spring the forget-me-nots have been beautiful, and I honestly can never see them without thinking of my dear friend, Olga.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

What a lovely story ... I'm sure your friend loved the idea of her garden living on.
xxx

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

I'm sure she would be happy...you are a true friend knows whats important to you, but most importantly why so. I'm sure the origin of your flowers contribute to your enjoyment of them.

Woman of the House said...

What a sweet story! And memorial to your friend!

Wendy McDonagh-Valentine said...

What a beautiful story!! I just became your newest "follower" and I look forward to reading some of your past posts. Olga sounds like she was filled with gratitude for you. :)

~ Wendy
http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Sheila said...

Truly a forget-me-not. I have a love for African violets because of a friend of my Grandmother. When I was between the ages of 8 and 10 this elderly lady would invite me to her home and teach me to crochet. She would take me into her sun room where she had an abundance of African violets she cared for. It's wonderful how such simple but beautiful things hold great memories.