Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Antique Tidbits

Recently, I had the pleasure of attending an antique show with my mom.  Simply attending an antique show is fun in itself; but when I can go with my mom, it is a real treat.  She knows so much about so many things.  I enjoy listening to her stories about how her grandmother used some of the things that we saw, and explaining to me the history about different dishes (her specialty).  We had a delightful day, and I managed to take a few pictures of some of the highlights.  However, when we walked in the door, and I looked at the first cute thing, I was taken back by the prices.  And then I remembered .... I wasn't at a thrift store, or at a Farm Chicks sale, I was at an antique show.  Therefore, I prepared myself for antique show prices. 

These cute salt and pepper shakers I would have loved to have purchased.  But because of the high price (yikes!) I brought home a picture instead:



This picture isn't very clear, but this is the biggest batter bowl that I have ever seen.  It measured 16" from handle to spout.  I think that would be a wonderful size, but I also wondered if I would even be able to lift it when full:



Here is a beautiful comb that someone bold enough could wear in their hair at just the right event:



And to wrap things up, I couldn't help but take a picture of this, even though I think it is just plain creepy.  An alligator purse that has the alligator's head incorporated into it.  I'll pass on carrying this around:


6 comments:

Woman of the House said...

I love antiques too. One of my favorite things to do on vacation is shop for antiques, but I'm always on the lookout for blue and white transferware when I antique shop. That salt and pepper set was so cute, but at that price I would have passed too!

Kathy said...

Oh my goodness that bag is really gross! Everything else was lovely though ... especially the peacock comb.
Love Kathy xxx

koralee said...

Oh that white and red polka dotted s & p set is amazing...I can't believe it was going for that much!!!! Wow.

Hugs.

Unknown said...

Sounds like fun.
I would love those salt n pepper shakers too - but yikes is right!

Kar said...

I love antique shows also. The only thing that turns me off though is the prices. I have to wonder sometimes if the "sellers" want to sell the items or keep them. :)

Sheila said...

Those shakers are so cute, but I agree a bit expensive. What a great time to spend with your mom.