Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Chocolate Entries

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my daughters and I enjoy entering the chocolate contest at our local fair each year. We didn't win any ribbons this year; but I thought I would share with you what we entered anyway. The winning entry was a brownie type of cake with Reese's peanut butter cups in it. I have to agree with the judges, what could possibly top that!

One of my daughters made some delicious orange/chocolate chip bars. They were from a cookbook published in 1967 entitled, "Our Favorite Desserts. Favorites from Home Economics Teachers". After making them however, she decided that they just weren't chocolaty enough for a chocolate competition. So we immediately tasted them, and enjoyed them at home. Sorry, no pictures though, we ate them too quickly.

Another daughter made a double-chocolate bundt cake. This recipe included adding instant espresso powder in the cake, as well as in the frosting. She chose this recipe from the "Good Housekeeping Great Baking" cookbook.


And my entry was a chocolate walnut crunch cake, from the "Death by Chocolate Cakes" cookbook. In my cake I actually made a type of walnut brittle which I used in the decorating of it; but also, the walnut brittle (or crunch as the book referred to it) is actually chopped back up in a food processor and added to the frosting. Very tasty!!


We can now spend the coming year finding just the perfect chocolate recipe that might take the prize next year. What a great task!!

1 comment:

theUngourmet said...

All three sound out of this world! There's nothing better than chocolate!

Did anyone get a ribbon?