Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Today is the day that I celebrate my Irish heritage.  My father, bless his Irish soul, always made sure that we celebrated St. Patrick's Day.  As I have posted in the past, his father was 100% Irish, and we grew up never missing out on celebrating this day.

There has been some debate in the family about where our ancestors came from in Ireland.  My dad was very adamant about saying that we came from County Cork.  I know that I have relatives that have actually traveled to Ireland to locate some family history, and have reason to believe that we are from County Clare.  But to my knowledge, so far nothing has turned up.  Regardless of the specific Irish location that my family heralds from, today we are Irish and very proud of it.

"I met a little leprechaun down where the shamrocks grow.
I asked him why he stayed so small, and why he didn't grow.
He frowned his brow, and with his eye, he looked me through and through.
"Well, I'm as big to me he said as you are big to you."
(Author Unknown)




3 comments:

Jennifer D said...

Wonderful poem! Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Libbie said...

Cute little Leprachaun poem! love it!!!

I wish I had better track of my husband's & my own heritage...just not something I have had time to do! I wouldn't even know where to start!

Hope you have a great week!

koralee said...

Love your St. Patrick's Day post....hugs to you today. xoxoxo